An osteopath shall apply for a certificate of registration by submitting a completed application form together with a recent passport size photo, and the one time applicable fee of $560 ($500 plus harmonized sales tax) for al certificate of registration to practice European style osteopathy. This one time application fee is non-refundable. IOA membership is free for all qualified osteopaths as it does not charge an annual membership.
The following are registration requirements for an international certificate of registration:
1. The applicant has graduated from one of the accredited osteopathy schools listed below that offer a diploma or degree program in osteopathy; with 2000 hours or more of teaching,
• Buenos Aires School of Osteopathy (Argentina)
• Instituto Argentina de Osteopatía (Argentina)
• Osterreiches Osteopathie Kolleg (Austria)
• RMIT University (Australia)
• Southern Cross University (Australia)
• University of Western Sydney (Australia)
• Victoria University (Australia)
• Chiropractic and Osteopathic College of Australasia (Australia)
• Escola Brasileira De Osteopatia
• National Academy of Osteopathy (Canada & its other locations)
• Collège d'Études Ostéopathiques (Canada)
• Centre Ostéopathique du Québec (Canada)
• Canadian College of Osteopathy (Canada)
• Canadian Academy of Osteopathy and Holistic Health Sciences (Canada)
• Southern Ontario College of Osteopathy (Canada)
• The Osteopathic College of Ontario (Canada)
• British College of Osteopathic Medicine (England)
• British School of Osteopathy (England)
• College of Osteopaths (England)
• European School of Osteopathy (England)
• London School of Osteopathy (England)
• National Academy of Osteopathy (England)
• London College of Osteopathic Medicine (England)
• Oxford Brookes University (England)
• Centre Europeen d'Enseignement Superieur de l'Osteopathie (France)
• Institut de Formation en Ostéopathie du Grand-Avignon (France)
• Osterreiches Osteopathie Kolleg (Germany)
• Deutsches Osteopathie Kolleg (Germany)
• Istituto Superiore di Osteopatia - Milano (Italy) • Unitec (New Zealand)
• Russian School of Osteopathic Medicine (Russia)
• National Academy of Osteopathy (South Korea)
• Swiss International College of Osteopathy (Switzerland)
• Madrid School of Osteopathy (Spain)
• National University of Medical Sciences (Spain)
• Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (Spain)
2. The applicant must not have been found guilty of an offence that is relevant to suitability to practise manual osteopathy.
3.The Canadian applicants must have passed, the examination set and administered by the Canadian Manual Osteopathy Examining Board (CMOEB). Non-Canadian applicants must have passed, the board exams administered by the International Osteopathy Examining Board (IOEB). CMOEB & IOEB are is the two board organizations approved by IOA. All national and international applicants must pass one of the board exams listed above in order to receive a license number and certificate of registration from IOA. This requirement elevates the osteopathy profession and is a forward step to getting osteopathy regulated everywhere.
4. As a condition of membership all applicants understand that on an annual basis their names and license numbers are submitted to the insurers and Ministry of Health of the jurisdiction they practice in. This is to ensure they their rights to practice manual osteopathy and to bill insurers remain protected.
5. IOA is continuously working to make osteopathy a regulated health profession in the province of Ontario as well as other Canadian provinces & elsewhere such as South Korea, Brazil, Colombia, Iran, China, India, Mexico and Singapore. Once this is achieved in each jurisdiction;additional requirements may be added as per government guidelines and health regulatory board instructions applicable in that jurisdiction.
6. Applicants must adhere to the IOA code of ethics. Applicants should understand that IOA has a disciplinary process and that complaints can be registered against the member by patients, insurers and other members. Applicants are required by IOA to upgrade themselves regularly by taking a continuing education course per year as specified and approved by IOA.
To receive the application form please contact IOA at:
International Osteopathic Association
6021 Yonge Street, Suite 390
Phone: (647) 260-0431
Fax: (647) 258-9632
Canada M2M 3W2